Thursday, May 21, 2009

Yeah, I'm thinking ahead

It may seem odd that I've titled my blog Embassy Academy Homeschool when I'm only 20 weeks pregnant, but there is a good reason. I've always been a "planner." From a young age, I have imagined what I would like my life to be, and have made plans to reach those goals. As a young teen, I began questioning educational norms and thinking about how I would change things for my children if I could. I knew nothing about homeschooling at that time except that three of my classmates had quit homeschooling for various reasons. However, during my freshman year of college I (a.k.a "Danger") met Sarah (a.k.a. "Dudeman"), and together we discussed, researched, and debated every aspect of our lives in our free moments (which were plentiful!). At the time, I was annoyed that I had listened to the well-meaning college advisors who urged me to only take 12 credits so I could "adjust to college life." I ended up having WAY too much free time, or so I thought.

Looking back I see that I was immensely blessed to have had that time to read, reason, and debate with this friend. Since we had very different backgrounds but a common faith in Christ, we definitely challenged one another's thinking. It was at 19 that I decided that I would homeschool my future children, for reasons that I will post about later. Over the years I have been strengthened in my resolve to homeschool, and have further refined my reasons.

When I considered what I wanted out of life for myself and my future children, I was reminded of 2 Corinthians 5, in which Paul likens the Christian to an ambassador, whose job it is to carry the message of reconcilliation to God to the world. Thus, if we are ambassadors, our home should be an embassy--a place for rest, refuge, and regeneration. It is my prayer that my home will be that embassy--a haven from a foreign world--for my children. This does not mean that I will completely isolate my children from outside influences, but rather that they will have a safe place to return and regroup as they live in the world.

2Corinthians 5:20-21 (ESV)

Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. or our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

5 comments:

Katy said...

You will not regret this decision. My only regret is not starting sooner! I had a few bumps (like a bad 1st marriage) before God led me to homeschool not only my kids, but 2 bonus daughters I got when I married DH. The best of luck to you! Stick to the WTM boards. There is a wealth of info from the veterans!

Urban Mom said...

Don't feel odd about deciding when you're pregnant to HS. We started looking into the idea about 15 minutes after Urban Kid 1 was born. Enjoy the journey, both the HS one and the blogging one!

=-)

my5wolfcubs said...

I decided to homeschool while I was in highschool...now my oldest is 14! :) Love the name!
Lee (from the WTM board)

Heidi said...

I decided to homeschool my future children when I was about 17... and have been planning ever since. :) I told my hubby a week after our first date that I would be homeschooling my children. (He was a school teacher at the time.) He surprised me by saying he thought homeschooling was a terrific idea. He has been completely suportive. I read TWTM before I was pregnant with boy #1, and knew that was the education I wanted for my children. It has been fun to ease into the homeschool lifestyle a little at a time!

Congrats on your coming little baby and best wishes for your homeschool journey!

Heidi @ Mt Hope (from the WTM board)

RockerMom said...

I, like Heidi, have been planning for this since I was 17. I was blessed to find and marry a wonderful man who felt the same way. I'm looking forward to reading as your journey progresses.